Yep, we have great plans for 2014, but we need your help to insure that we can put them into action.
Please consider clicking the DONATE button on the left to make a tax-deductible contribution in support of The Hansberry Project.
Or send checks payable to: "Shunpike" (with "The Hansberry Project" in the memo line) to: The Hansberry Project c/o Shunpike, 3518 Fremont Avenue Seattle WA 98103
Whether or not you make a donation, please stay in touch with us and come to our events. We need the vocal and in-person support of people who believe in the power of stories to build community.
HP ROCKED 2013! 2013 was a momentous year for the Hansberry Project. It was the year that we made the big move out of the ACT Theatre incubator and into our first season as a completely independent organization. And what a season it was!
- We collaborated with Intiman Theatre in support of the critically-acclaimed production of TROUBLE IN MIND, providing events and talkbacks about race and representation.
- We successfully executed our first Kickstarter campaign, raising more than $5000 to support our production of Tina Vernon's WANTED ( a world premiere!)
- We mounted co-productions with new partners, Theatre-Off Jackson, The Central District Forum for Art & Ideas, and Seattle Public Theatre.
- We participated in the Project1Voice national reading scheme, working with working with Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute and Bronwbox Theatre to present a staged reading of A SOLDIER'S PLAY.
- We hosted our 3rd annual REPRESENT! Multicultural Playwrights Festival in collaboration with SIS Productions, eSe Teatro and Pratidwhani. - We honored Black Arts West and Paul Robeson Players with our 2013 Legends award, hosting a wonderful reunion event.
As we look toward the upcoming year, we have much to be thankful for and great enthusiasm for the future of the Hansberry Project.
A Special THANKS to everyone who supported REPRESENT! 2013
We're thrilled to report that REPRESENT 2013 was a resounding success. From the local writers' showcase to the featured play readings, Seattle's support for new work was once again on full display. Audiences turned out to hear the work of 12 amazing writers. The plays were all really compelling and the actors delivered the readings with total committment. It was a great week and we're looking forward to doing it again in 2014. Stay tuned for more information.
The Hansberry Project, in a joint venture with eSe Teatro, SIS Productions, and Pratidhwani, will host "REPRESENT!: A Multicultural Playwrights' Festival" Nov 12-17. The festival will feature staged readings of four new full-length plays, an evening dedicated specifically to showcasing the work of six very talented local writers and a new play sampler featuring 20 minute snippets of all four plays.
Nov 12, 7:30pm, Local Playwrights Showcase
Nov 13, 7;30pm, The Tiger Among Us, by Lauren Yee (SIS Productions)
Nov 14, 7:30pm, The Many Faces of Nia by Lenelle Moise (The Hansberry Project)
Nov 15, 7:30pm, The Divorce by Sonal Champsee (Pratidwhani)
Nov 16, 7:30pm, No Number Home by Tencha Avil (eSe Teatro)
- See more at: http://acttheatre.org/Tickets/OnStage/REPRESENTAMulticulturalPlaywrightsFestival2013#sthash.3nbafxrC.dpuf